Psychological Well being Survey in America (2020)

* Some of our articles contain affiliate links for products and services that we know and trust. Further information can be found in our data protection declaration.

SAN FRANCISCO, July 22, 2020 – Today, ManlyWellness, a physician-reviewed online resource for modern health and wellness counseling, is pleased to announce the results of its annual survey on the state of mental health in America. 145 respondents from 48,359 visitors took part in the survey from June 15 to July 15, 2020. Questions related to mental health and wellbeing in 2020, specifically the impact of COVID-19 and the impact of US policies on mental health in America.

See survey results below, followed by the rest of the press release.

Of those surveyed, 69% were never diagnosed with a mental disorder, while the remaining 31% reported diagnoses that ranged from anxiety and depression to substance abuse to PTSD and other unspecified mental disorders.

When asked if they care more about their mental or physical health in 2020, 38% of respondents said mental health was more important, while the remaining 62% were more concerned about their physical health in 2020 -19 does more inclined to fear the future? “40% of the respondents said yes. Of these, 13% said they were "much more afraid of the future".

One of the most notable data points from the survey was that 50% of respondents said the state of politics in America made them "fear the future." Of these, 34% said the state of American politics made them "very" afraid of the future.

Some of the questions in the survey concerned attitudes towards online therapy in 2020. Amazingly, 52% of respondents said that they would consider online therapy if they “seek advice or therapy in the future”. However, 26% of the respondents stated that from their point of view online therapy is not as effective as personal therapy.

COVID-19 and the political landscape made 2020 an especially turbulent year for Americans. The American Mental Health Survey underscores this fact and shows that we still have a lot of work to do to improve mental health and access to strong online mental health care. The full survey results can be found on the ManlyWellness blog here.


ManlyWellness America's Mental Health Survey was conducted online from June 15 to July 15, 2020 in the United States of 48,359 website visitors 18 years and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore an estimate of the theoretical sample error cannot be calculated.

About ManlyWellness

ManlyWellness is a professionally checked online publication. Doctors, nurses, licensed therapists, and other practitioners provide tips on leading a healthy life and review popular online medical services such as BetterHelp and Roman. For more information about this survey, please contact Mark Sandusky at [email protected]

Comments are closed.